Our mission is to provide services and support that help blind and visually impaired individuals live productive, independent lives with confidence and dignity.
Donate to our spring fundraising campaign! Your support helps empower people on their journey through vision loss and helps us educate others on maintaining their eyesight. Every dollar counts. Please give today!
Find your life beyond sight
Do you need assistance? Looking to empower someone you know?
1) We provide virtual, on-site, and in-home services.
2) Begin the process by completing our accessible online intake. You'll be contacted after we receive your forms.
3) You must have an appointment for in-person services:
Reserve an appointment online through this site. OR
Call our office at 313-272-3900 to schedule a time.
4) Call the office to speak with someone for guidance and assistance.
5) Virtual classes, training, and support are available! All you need is
a landline or cell phone to get started.
5) An RSVP is required for special activities.
6) Our office is reachable by both MetroLift and SMART. Please contact us for more information regarding transportation and for assistance completing paratransit applications.
Take power over your eye health to help prevent blindness
News & Notes
2 – Blind Bingo ( 1-4 p.m., in-person)
6 – Kitchen Safety (in-person)
10 - Bike For Sight POSTPONED!
13 – New Direction Adult Support Group (noon – 2 p.m., via Zoom)
23 – Quarterly Outing: Game Night at the Agency, 4-7 p.m.
27 – Small Appliances class (in-person)
Call 313-272-3900 for more info.
If you or someone you know could use the support of other people in varying stages of vision loss, we invite you to join our next New Direction meeting on Tuesday, June 13th at noon. Join the Zoom meeting or use this one tap phone number: +19292056099,,88381700697#,,,,*034922#.
For more information, call 313-591-3790.
Our Learning Lab
The agency's Learning Lab is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (except the 3rd Thursday of the month) from 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m so clients can practice their computer skills. Our PCs are equipped with JAWS software. Headphones are available for those who don't have their own to bring.
Reserve your space by calling 313-591-3792.
2022 Report to the Community
We invite you to take a look at our 2022 Report to the Community! This annual report shares our progress over the year in our focus pillars of Equity, Education, and Empowerment. We've also shared our financial outlook and give a special thank you to the donors who help make our great work possible. You can view the report online here. A pdf download is available.